Sunday, April 30, 2006

sockapalOOOser!!!!

Ms. Worsted really, no, tragically underestimated how long it would take to knit up luscious Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock on size 1 needles for her large-footed sock pal. Ms. W is also finding it tough to do weekend power-knitting, hours at a time, on the aforementioned bamboo BBQ skewers. She's thru the gusset on sock #1, but has 6.5 more inches to go before the toe. In addition, Ms. Worst may be further damaging her eye sight. And straining her right hand - the need to knit tightly = grasp the dental floss tightly = owie hand for the thrower.

So a break is in order.

Let's hop in the way-way-back time machine to last Monday, April 24th. That's the day I could finally unfurl my brow, breathe more deeply, and truly relax. Well, that's the day I got the hint of sure-fire change: I was offered a job.

I accepted said job on Tuesday afternoon, and have been letting the realization settle in. It takes time to grasp that the three (3) month-long search is over; I will have a way to continue to feed the menagerie, me, and my yarn habit; put a roof over our heads; and an engaging promotion with kind, respectful, thoughtful colleagues: all in the great State of New York.

Now it's time to think about packing up the pets and the books and the stash. I must be at the new job in New York (TNJINY) for June 6, 7, 8; with an official full-time start-date of July 5th. There's my 20th high school reunion mixed into early June too...so I must get prepared. I must get knitting.

As a break from my gargantuan, slow-going socks, I'm swatching for Fad-Classic in Hot Pink (3459). I'm loving every yarn pink right now, which is so not me, but it's Fad-Classic, so I thought I'd be OK.

Still no color decision made for Ali, but in my fantasy world, I finish it for my reunion.

I purchased some Euroflax Originals. That Mason-Dixon book makes me want to knit dishrags, hand towels, a night gown and matching bathrobe, bathroom rugs, and queen-sized blankets. I thought I'd start small, a linen hand towel or two.

All the yarn mentioned above was purchased as a pressie for me, for TNJINY. Yeah me!

7 comments:

Knittypants said...

Ouch! That sock sounds like a painful process.

WooHoo!! on the job, sounds great! And feeding the menagerie and the yarn stash are very important things.

I am so exited to see you make fad classic, such a cool pattern and I love the color you chose.

Rain said...

Congratulations on your new job, it sounds like it's making you very happy. You definitely needed to reward yourself with yarn for it

Give you hands a good stretch and pamper them for a bit before you go back to that sock, there's no point damaging yourself.

Kim said...

Congratulations! NY is my home state! Figures you'd be coming closer to me on the exact same days that I'm moving further away...LOL!

I just bought some Euroflax for the same reason. I reallylike that book!!

Bonnie said...

I think you're very smart to take a break from the socks. They are fun, but in small doses. I would hate to be on deadline for a pair of socks.

Good luck with your move! Always a stressful time. But it sounds like the knitting projects and the Mason-Dixon book will keep the stress levels down.

That Tahki Donegal Tweed is gorgeous!

aija said...

Congrats on the job! Your hands deserve a break :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations on the job!!! And I'm sending many well-wishes and good vibes in your direction that you may develop a bionic sock-knitting (or at least pain-free knitting) hand!

Anonymous said...

Wow, exciting stuff! Good luck with all the preparations, knitting and otherwise.